When Simon Cowell went to Hollywood for American Idol, he was a little-known, British music executive with high-waisted trousers, an acid tongue and razor-sharp wit.
As he prepares to return to Britain for the UK series of The X Factor (the US version was canceled) and the birth of his first child — a son he’s reportedly planning to name after himself — we take a look at how Simon’s appearance has changed over the years.
1. The Los Angeles sunshine was clearly a novelty for Simon at the time! This photo, of a very sun-soaked Cowell was taken in the American Idol finale press room back in 2002.
2. Getting more smug as the years go by. This one was taken in 2003 at the Idol finale.
3. This is when he started piling on the pounds. Taken at the 18th Annual Kids’ Choice Awards in 2005.
4. This is probably the point he discovered Botox. Simon was looking very smooth and shiny at the 2006 Fox Upfront Presentation. .
“I’ve had Botox, but not in an obsessive way,” he has said. “Then again, every guy I know who works in the city has had it now.”
5. Let’s rewind back to 2002. Oh, Simon – those trousers!
7. And this is what we have today. At 54, Cowell’s face is as wrinkle-free as his teeth are white — and he’s expecting his first child with fiancee Lauren Silverman. Hopefully she’ll buy him some new sunglasses. Mind you don’t trip over your jeans, Simon!